Magento is one of the most popular online sales platform. As Adobe has finished developing Magento 1, many stores are facing the task of migrating the whole system to a newer version 2. How does the whole process look like and what should be taken care of?
Why is it worth upgrading Magento 1 to Magento 2?
June 30, 2020 – this date will go down in e-commerce history as the day when Adobe stopped officially supporting the Magento 1 platform focusing on the second release of its product. What does this mean for stores running on the earlier engine?
First and foremost, no more official updates that added new features, security, or improved overall platform optimization to your store. So if your store is still running on Magento 1, you should consider performing the so-called migration.
Of course, nothing prevents you from staying on M1. However, the lack of official support will make your store much more vulnerable to new types of attacks over time. Also, adding more features will be more expensive. If only for the reason that you will have to create them on commission in specialized software houses.
Migrating to Magento 2 does not seem to be a bad decision in the long run. We are even of the opinion that it is a necessary step to maintain high efficiency and appropriate security level of your store.
Advantages of Magento 2
When deciding to migrate to Magento 2, you get not only up-to-date software, but also several features that distinguish this version of the platform. Among the most important advantages we can include:
- speed of performance: a store on Magento 2 runs at least 20% faster than the same store created with Magento 1. This allows you, among other things, to achieve a higher conversion rate leading to a higher number of orders,
- easier scaling: as Magento 2 puts much less load on the server infrastructure, migrating to this platform you are able to maintain stability of its operation during the so-called sales peaks (e.g. during the pre-Christmas period, Black Friday, sales etc.),
- better shopping path: compared to the previous version, it has been shortened from 6 to only 2 steps, which significantly reduces the percentage of abandoned shopping carts. Fewer steps to be taken by the customer in your store will prevent them from abandoning the order during its placement,
- support for mobile: as e-commerce is moving more and more to mobile devices, Magento 2 has been created in such a way as to best support mobile technologies. What does this mean for your store? For example, the possibility of obtaining a higher conversion rate from smartphones and tablets,
- better integration with external tools: thanks to Magento API you are able to integrate it more easily with many useful tools (e.g. ERP systems), which allows you to streamline and speed up sales procedures.
How does migration to Magento 2 look like?
Migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is definitely a process you should prepare for. How? It will really help if you work with an e-commerce agency that has experience in this type of task.
Before the migration itself takes place, the agency will perform for you:
- a complete backup of your store, so that it can be recovered in case of unforeseen occurrences,
- analysis of your current store, thanks to which you will know which solutions are worth moving to Magento 2 and which will be unnecessary there,
- compatibility test, thanks to which you will find out which functions present in your store are compatible with Magento 2, and which will have to be adjusted in the making.
With the above information, your e-commerce business is practically ready to migrate to a new platform. So what does the entire process look like?
It consists of the following steps:
- Server configuration for Magento 2. E-commerce agency experts will prepare the technological background for your store. They will configure the server infrastructure to optimize the store’s operation and ensure maximum performance.
- Database migration. Your database will be transferred to the new version of the store.
- Template migration. The template used in your store will be adjusted to Magento 2 requirements. At the time of migration, you may also purchase a new template or ask an e-commerce agency to create one for you. An experienced agency will prepare for you a proposal supported by an earlier UX audit, thanks to which the conversion in your store will be significantly improved.
- Module migration. At this stage, the e-commerce agency performing the migration will choose and recommend you versions or equivalents of the transferred modules adapted to Magento 2.
- Migration of dedicated solutions. If your store has dedicated solutions, the agency will adapt them to operate on the new platform.
- Testing. The whole migration process ends with a set of tests conducted by the Quality Assurance department in order to thoroughly check whether all functionalities of the store operate correctly.
When the last step above is successfully completed, it means that your store has been migrated to Magento 2. You can enjoy a modern, functional and open to interesting solutions engine supporting your online sales.
What’s next? Everything depends on you! If you have no idea about the next steps, we’ ll be glad to help you with our knowledge and experience.
Are you looking for a reliable e-commerce agency to migrate to Magento 2? Get a free consultation and see how we can assist you with this project.
Zamów bezpłatną konsultację*
* Na temat platformy Magento i PimCore oczywiście. Konsultację dedykujemy małym, średnim i dużym firmom, które mają swój sklep internetowy lub system B2B, gdzie generują rocznie minimum 7 mln obrotu. Tam nasze doświadczenie sprawdza się najlepiej.
Kliknij w poniższy przycisk i skontaktuj się z jednym z naszych konsultantów e-commerce