Long-term cooperation in business is possible. Even when we talk about cooperation concerning the support of your online store. What can an e-commerce agency do for you 6, 12 and 24 months after the cooperation starts?
How long does it take to work with an e-commerce agency?
You’ve signed the contract, agreed upon the terms, and it”s time to start collaborating with an e-commerce agency. At this point, your list of tasks to assign to a new technology partner certainly contains a lot of items. Is it going to be the same way in six months, one year, or two years?
Many E-commerce Managers fear that cooperation with an agency concerning the support of an online store is limited in time. They even think that after 6-12 months everything they have set up will be done and the budget for the support package will be ” burned” unnecessarily.
Is it true? Well, based on our experience so far, we can certainly say… no. The possibilities of cooperation between an e-commerce agency and your online store are much greater and usually do not have a clearly defined end date. Especially if you choose a proven, experienced e-commerce agency that can not only perform the tasks you’ve assigned, but also propose development solutions for your store on their own.
Establishing cooperation with the right technology partner is a bit like finding the right partner in life – together you are able to create a relationship that will bring tangible benefits to both parties.
What does it look like in practice? In the following part of the article you will find out how a typical cooperation between an e-commerce agency and a client develops within the online store support.
Working with an e-commerce agency – the first 6 months
The beginning of cooperation is like the beginning of a relationship. There is mutual fascination and lots of good intentions to build a happy future together. This is also when relatively most things happen.
The first six months usually pass on:
- going through the so-called project setup, i.e. the agency getting all the necessary access to the store’s tools, all the key elements for the project to work, and the audit of current store state. These tasks usually take about 1 month, after which follows…
- … the transition to specific support and development activities. During regular meetings with the Project Managers all the goals, the order of work and a detailed plan of all the activities are set.
Working with an e-commerce agency – we’re celebrating an anniversary!
Twelve months after you begin working with an e-commerce agency, the collaboration, like the relationship, moves into a phase of stability. Typically, both parties already know enough about each other to communicate effectively and clearly. During this time, some of the development tasks have also been tested.
Thus, the agency is in charge of:
- regular store support and maintenance of sales continuity,
- fixing errors that appear in the meantime and make it difficult for customers to make purchases,
- updating modules, the Magento engine and other tools which create a full sales ecosystem,
- development of new store functions and planned additions.
During the first 12 months, very often your list of changes prepared at the beginning of cooperation is already ending This is also where the problem of further cooperation with an e-commerce agency arises – you do not see the need to engage it for as many hours as before.
Are you currently in this situation? Well, this means that you probably found the wrong technology partner. A good e-commerce agency is not just a company that will take care of the technical support in your store. It’s also a team of experts who know the ins and outs of the e-commerce market and have plenty of ideas for further development of your sales.
(Is the agency you work with right for you? You can check it now by taking a short test published on our blog).
2 years of being together with an e-commerce agency
Building a long-term relationship with an e-commerce agency is entirely possible. The key to success, as with relationships in your personal life, is to find someone who is willing to give something back. In the case of an e-commerce agency, this will include taking the initiative to suggest further development paths for your store.
These may include:
- new features that will provide your customers with convenience and security while shopping,
- regular updates of the Magento platform in a way that ensures full security, including Magento 1 updates (up to 5 years!)
- optimization of store speed, so that product pages and checkout load even faster, and thus – customers can make transactions in your store in no time,
- Implementation of new technologies influencing sales improvements (e.g. PWA, PIM),
- UX improvements to better match the store to customer needs.
Working with an e-commerce agency is a long-term relationship worth building on a solid foundation
Whatever business goals you set for your store, remember that they will be much easier to achieve with the right technology partner. Especially the one for whom the word “cooperation” always has an additional phrase – “long-term”.
Choosing an e-commerce agency with experience on the market will provide your business not only with the right knowledge and technological skills, but also with the know-how necessary for proper, stable development.